“Today is market day. Are you coming?” one of my matron
friends reminded me yesterday. Oh! I completely forgot! Every Friday evening several
staff members carpool in one of the Home’s buses to go to the market in
the neighboring village where fresh fruits and veggies are sold cheaper than
normal. I was low on produce, so I
quickly ran into my house and grabbed a couple of large bags and some money
and hopped on the bus with the other staffs.
“What is a good price for tomatoes?” I asked a staff member
sitting next to me. “How about green beans? And peas?” I was determined to be
more independent than I’d been on my first market trip which meant I needed to
know how to buy and bargain on my own. Everything here is sold by the kilo,
which is a measurement I am still unfamiliar with. Recognizing this, my staff
friend insightfully told me: “For you, all you need is a quarter kg. For this,
say ‘ek pauo’.” Ek pauo, I repeated and tried to think of a helpful hint to remember it by. It
was to become the most useful phrase in the next hour.
Thankfully, I didn’t need very much subzi (veggies), so I took some time exploring the market and experimenting with bargaining. By the end, I felt very accomplished having purchased satisfactory
amounts of tomatoes, green beans, green peppers, cilantro, mangos, and a small
watermelon all by myself for reasonable prices. Produce is very seasonal here,
and had they been fresh and available, I might have also bought carrots, eggplant,
peas, bananas and cantaloupe, but it seems the season for those items is kuttum (finished).
After I arrived home and washed all the new food in diluted
potassium permaganate (a chemical which Kathy appropriately nicknamed “pinky”),
I took my sandals off to wash up and settle in to watch a movie on my laptop. It had been a
full day. Upon seeing the discoloration of my
feet, the first question in my mind was is that a tan or dirt? Both, I concluded and smiled at the visible signs of a day well-spent.
Haha. I want mangoes so bad!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I have to give credit to Amina for the Pinky name. Regardless, it is VERY pink and VERY helpful!
Can't wait to be back!