Most of my team members are gone this year, and Kathy and I have greatly missed the rides they gave us to and from the
Children’s Home and the city, and around town to help us run errands. In recent months, I've felt like so much time has been wasted walking to bus stops,
waiting for unreliable buses to come, and in the end not even accomplishing tasks because I'm unable to carry everything on the bus, and the whole process is so tedious. So finally, I acquired car. Praise the Lord!
Next job: learn how to drive. Because my team mates are all in
the US, I wasn’t sure who to ask to teach me. So I practiced in the school
field for a while until I got more comfortable maneuvering a stick
shift. But when I stalled on a hill and was unable to get the car started
again, I concluded that I really did need supervised help. Who to ask? Someone from America who could teach me the ins and outs of local driving from an American
driver’s perspective would be ideal. The answer came to me while I sat in church this past
Sunday: Craig! (Craig --I believe I’ve mentioned him in a blog or two before-- is
our retired American neighbor who lives down the street from us with his
national wife.)
Craig was happy to oblige when I asked him, so after Sunday's service he gave me my first lesson. And today, he rode in the passenger’s
seat while I drove all the way into town and back! What an answer to prayer! I
feel SO much more comfortable and confident now than I did just a few days ago.
And Craig's advice such as, “Locals will give you everything in the home, but
nothing on the road,” is good for me to keep in mind as I navigate through
carts, cows, trucks, scooters, bicycles, potholes, pedestrians, and pretty much anything
else you can imagine being on a road. Praise God who is the Giver of
good gifts, and who gives us exactly what we need when we need it.
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."
James 1:17

No comments:
Post a Comment