Friday, February 27, 2015

"I want to die. Nobody loves me."

In the Saffron Land, I saw hundreds of children without parents to care for them. Some of the children were on the street, begging for money, food, or waiving flyers in your face so you could read their desperate story. Others were in children’s homes.  

In the US, needy children receive care through welfare or foster programs. But in countries where such programs don't exist, many children are left to fend for themselves. The "lucky" ones make their way into children's homes. 

A boy in Acapulco, Mexico, abandoned by his impoverished family, was on the street for 6 months before a staff member of Christian children's home found him. While on the street, his life was miserable. Without family he had no one to rely on. He had thoughts like: “I want to die. Nobody loves me. I’m not worthy.” Life was a cycle of existence and there was no joy.

I saw these homes. I saw the way the church is giving a cup of cold water to the person in need, giving these children family, a reason to smile, and means to support themselves economically when they are older. I began to think: This a wonderful discipleship opportunity! These children are being given to the Church by their parents or by the hurting world. If we can nurture them and disciple them in the Lord, they’ll grow up to become leaders in their families and communities, the beginning of a new generation of Christ-followers! What a strategic way to grow the Kingdom of God! 

So, how do we get involved to help that happen? Check back later for updates on the new ministry avenue I'm pursuing to nurture and develop abandoned orphans into quality leaders. 

In the mean time, if you have 30 minutes, watch this VIDEO about how this is already happening in Acapulco, Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment