One of my favorite parts to my job is the people and organizations I get to interact with who are involved in orphan care. Overall, I'm discovering that the Christian orphan care community at large is a generous, mature, and excited group of people.
For example, three different leading organizations I've talked to have said something similar to: "You're Christians helping orphans? Great! We are too! Here's what we've found has worked well. And here's our curriculum! You're welcome to use it - for free, already translated."
What a helpful and generous gift!
Yesterday, I spent a large portion of the day in the industrial copy room printing off hundreds of pages of curricula written by experienced cross-cultural Christian psychologists, which they created for the purpose of discipling vulnerable children in developing nations. Some of it is aimed for children who have been abused, abandoned, or otherwise traumatized. Other curricula is designed for children who are living with their parents but in impoverished situations. Since I work with groups children from both categories, it's exciting to find resources written for both demographics.
Last week I met with a founder of two Asian children's homes for street children, and next week I'm meeting with another woman who is ardently working to resource a children's home in Vietnam with discipleship materials. Both of these women have experience and insights that can add to my own, and they are excited to share!
Sometimes, serving children and caregivers who are so geographically distant from myself feels abstract. But engaging with people and resources who are similarly informed, equipped and passionate about helping those children keeps me sharpened and excited to surge forward, believing that God has called me to help and advocate for the voiceless. Thank you for believing this with me!
For months I've been asking God to lead me to helpful people and materials to shape this caregiver training program. I write this post to share with you some of God's answers to those prayers. Come, rejoice, and praise God with me for these helpful people and generous, Kingdom-focused, organizations!
For example, three different leading organizations I've talked to have said something similar to: "You're Christians helping orphans? Great! We are too! Here's what we've found has worked well. And here's our curriculum! You're welcome to use it - for free, already translated."
What a helpful and generous gift!
Yesterday, I spent a large portion of the day in the industrial copy room printing off hundreds of pages of curricula written by experienced cross-cultural Christian psychologists, which they created for the purpose of discipling vulnerable children in developing nations. Some of it is aimed for children who have been abused, abandoned, or otherwise traumatized. Other curricula is designed for children who are living with their parents but in impoverished situations. Since I work with groups children from both categories, it's exciting to find resources written for both demographics.
Last week I met with a founder of two Asian children's homes for street children, and next week I'm meeting with another woman who is ardently working to resource a children's home in Vietnam with discipleship materials. Both of these women have experience and insights that can add to my own, and they are excited to share!
Sometimes, serving children and caregivers who are so geographically distant from myself feels abstract. But engaging with people and resources who are similarly informed, equipped and passionate about helping those children keeps me sharpened and excited to surge forward, believing that God has called me to help and advocate for the voiceless. Thank you for believing this with me!
For months I've been asking God to lead me to helpful people and materials to shape this caregiver training program. I write this post to share with you some of God's answers to those prayers. Come, rejoice, and praise God with me for these helpful people and generous, Kingdom-focused, organizations!
No comments:
Post a Comment