Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Signs of God's Goodness

"Show me a sign of your goodness." (Psalm 86:17) 

When troubles of life overwhelm, and I struggle to see the purpose and presence of God, I often pray that verse, "God, show me a sign of your goodness." Occasionally, like Gideon's fleece, I ask Him to show me His goodness in a very specific ways. I've learned that God doesn't always give me what I request, but when He does, it's opportunity for me to see His goodness in special ways and praise Him when I probably wouldn't otherwise.  

"When I pray, coincidences happen. When I don't, they don't." 
~William Temple

This summer, I realized that God has abundantly answered many of my specific prayer requests over the past year, showing me many signs of His goodness. 

A year ago, after having transitioned living locations about every 4 months for the previous 3 years, yet another transition took me from Indiana to Georgia. As I anticipated resettling yet another living environment, I craved healthy work/life balance. I prayed for God to show me His goodness in five specific ways. 

1. Enjoyment in my job.
2. A good church family.
3. Local ministry opportunities.
4. Good friends.
5. A good living situation.

This summer, I realized that God has resoundingly answered all five of those requests!


5. God has given me a good living situation. 
In June, I moved from my parents' home into an apartment with my good friend Heather. In many ways, it is a wonderful living situation! Below is a picture of our homey balcony. 




4. God has given me good friends. 
A year ago, I met five wonderful ladies and have been in a discipleship group with them since. They have loved me and poured into me more deeply than I could've imagined. (Picture taken on my 30th birthday celebration.)


3. God has given me local ministry opportunities. 
Specifically, I desired opportunities to help vulnerable children. One of God's answers has been getting to know this boy...


Actually, God has provided MANY ministry opportunities (between hanging out with refugee kids, inner city kids, at-risk kids in a local elementary school, my church's youth group, VBS volunteering --at two separate VBSs, missions project fundraising...). This summer, I realized I had to start saying no to some things -- good things! It was a bit hard, but I also recognized it was the result of a marvelous answer to prayer!

2. God has given me a great church family. 
When I left Indiana, I was sad to leave my church family there, but God has led me to a great church family in Georgia at Old Peachtree PCA. Below are some fabulous girls from the youth group who I got to spend a week with as a youth conference chaperone. 


1. God has given me enjoyment in my job. 
Being the Children's Ministry Facilitator for MTW has kept me busy and growing! In the past year, I've gotten to know needy children and their caregivers in the Philippines, another Asian country, Haiti, and local refugees. Last week, I flew down to Florida to meet with the Board of Advisers for the Haitian ministry -- a ministry which I visited in May. I saw God use my field experience and insight to add helpful direction to the Board's discussion. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity!


Leaving Asia was hard. I battled residual exhaustion and confusion for a while upon reentry to America. But thankfully, this past year has been a season of experiencing God's kindness and favor. It has been wonderful to see Him grant so many of my specific requests! I will sing to the Lord because He has dealt bountifully with me! (Psalm 13:6)  

3 comments:

  1. So good to hear how God has answered these prayers! So excited that you have this group of women to meet with regularly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the update. You are an incredibly example to me, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the update. You are an incredibly example to me, friend.

    ReplyDelete