Friday, July 22, 2011

thankful for a cop car

The last few weeks have held some exciting and amusing answered prayers. One of them happened on a fresh Sunday morning on my hour drive to give a church presentation at a sister congregation.

That morning I felt particularly agitated internally with anxious energy. At the start of the drive, I prayed for the Lord’s help to drive safely and legally (since I’d been feeling convicted of driving over the speed limit)—and I prayed for my time with the other church family. Within 30 minutes God answered the first part of my prayer. I got pulled over! Of ALL the days to get pulled over, it happens on the one day when I actually pray for God’s help to drive legally! Sheesh. The coincidence was not lost on me. Then again, I took it as rather encouraging evidence that God WAS hearing and answering my prayers. If He was attentive to my little requests for a safe drive, I believed He heard and was answering the bigger ones too—answers that I cared about much more than getting a speeding ticket. Humbled, I waited in my car with attempted patience for the officer to return, preparing to accept the fine that I knew I completely deserved. (Since moving to Lafayette, I’ve received TWO written warnings on my otherwise clean driving record. I was not holding out for a third.) Eventually, the police officer returned to my window and said, “well ma’am, as soon as I put your name in my computer, it crashed. So I can’t do anything to you, but just slow down.” He handed my license and registration back to me. Really?! The Lord’s smiling mercy buoyed my heart. As small as it was, I knew it was Him who caused the computer to act up as soon as my name was put in! His tenderly reminding me that He hears and answers prayers -both large and small- and mercifully doesn’t give me what I deserve put an amused and joyful smile on my face. Being pulled over was a bit jarring since I hate getting pulled over, but the Lord's obvious hand in it all turned it in to one of those experiences I call “moments gift-wrapped by God”.

In recent weeks, I’ve also felt led to pray for another supporter at $100/month. ALL gifts are truly helpful, but finances are needed and I felt God’s prompting to pray for someone to give at this level particularly. Today, it came in! From someone I didn’t expect too! (Funny how it often works this way!) Praise the Lord!

“Oh, give thanks to the LORD!
Call upon His name;
Make known His deeds among the peoples!
Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him;
Talk of all His wondrous works!”

Psalm 105:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment