Monday, July 4, 2011

Sweeter Life



Jesus said His yoke is easy and His burden is light. Although the Christian walk does not always feel easy, sometimes He brings encouraging reminders that life for His children is indeed very sweet. Weddings are some of those joyful reminders.

On Saturday, I attended such an event. The day was perfect. The sun was shining. Flowers and birds were in their peak of summertime radiance. The bride was stunning in a simple modest white gown of elegant, eyelet-like lace. The groom glowed with love for her and joy to at last to have her as his wife. Friends and family beamed; eyes glistened with happiness for them. Since I had been a close friend of both the bride and the groom and a near bystander to watch their relationship blossom, their wedding day was a very special day for me.

At the end of it all I had some time to revel in the joy of the day and reflect. It had been such a perfect day, full of love and the joy that comes from two beautiful families joining together to create another that honors Christ. This is what life in the Kingdom is about! I thought to myself. Enjoying and celebrating Him with people who reflect His beauty. The experience was so rich and wonderful, it was hard to imagine a better one! Could life get any sweeter?

The most difficult thing about going to the Saffron Land I expect will be being so far away from the precious friends and people who have become my family. They are beautiful because they reflect Jesus' beauty and are witnesses of His wonderful love. Yet there are other people in that Land who haven't met Him, who haven't ever been introduced to Him or this wonderful family. No one has ever told them. What an awesome introduction to be privileged to make!

On Saturday, my daily bible reading schedule had me in John 2. Coincidentally (or perhaps God planned it? *smile*), it happens to be the story of a wedding, and Jesus’ first miracle when, toward the end of the reception, Jesus turned water into wine. Upon tasting it, the wedding coordinator exclaimed to the groom, “Normally, people serve the good wine first, but you have saved the best until now!” This was a tender reminder to me that as sweet as life seems now, Jesus delights to joyfully surprise His children and save the best for last. He truly is “able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think” (Ephesians 3:20). The joyful celebration in Heaven surely will be abundant, but I also think this promise applies to life on earth as well. Life brings challenges, and I know living cross-culturally surely will. But like David said, “I would have lost heart unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living” (Psalm 27:13). As sweet as life was on Saturday, I think the best is still yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment