For now, I'll post her blog post from today below...
Everybody's Got a Water Buffalo
"You can't say everybody's got a water buffalo when everybody DOES NOT have a water buffalo!" - Archibald AsparagusWell, you're right, everybody does not have a water buffalo, but as of this morning, Audrey and I DO HAVE (some) water buffalo! And it looks glorious.
A wonderful woman with a very kind heart emptied her fridge before leaving for the US for the next half a year. She chose to bestow her good gifts upon Audrey and I. The highlights were half a loaf of her fresh-baked bread, tomato soup mix, and CHEESE. A giant block of sharp cheddar cheese. Audrey and I had been having a rough week, and we both admit that upon taking our first bites of grilled cheese and tomato soup, tears came to our eyes. It was wonderful.
We've been dreaming about all the great things to do with a giant block of cheese, but the one thing that seemed impossible, though very delicious, was Philly Cheese Steaks. Where would we get steak here? Especially steak that could be trusted. It's illegal to kill cows in this region. Water buffalo taste about the same, just a bit richer. But we don't know of a good butcher in the village. And I'm not sure we're prepared to witness what happens when you go to the butcher.
But God heard our longings. He is good to give us the desires of our hearts. In fact, I just read that encouraging passage this morning!
This morning, a man on campus was speaking to me in Hindi while I was standing in front of my house with a matron. I looked at her and said, "What is he saying?" She said, "Do you want to buy beef?" Surely I misunderstood. Surely I shouldn't buy meat off of the back of a motorcycle. Surely this would not end as my tastebuds were hoping. Surely my care for my intestinal tract would win over my care for my tongue.
We walked over to the motorcycle, I didn't see any container on the back. Maybe I'm not hearing things correctly. Oh, wait, he's opening a little compartment in the front of the bike. And pulling out 1kg sized bags of meat. The matron asked when it was killed, Aaj ka subah. THIS MORNING! She asks to see it, and he starts pulling meat out of a bag and showing us how nice it looks. Here, hold it, see, it's nice! How much? 100 Rupees/kg. That seems reasonable - $2.00 for 2.2 lbs of meat.
"I have to go ask Audrey." I am thinking she will talk me down, she will remind me that this is unsafe, unwise, a terrible choice. I have buffalo blood on my hands from holding it, so I push the door with my elbows, enter our kitchen and say, "Audrey, I think God heard us! There's a man selling beef outside!" Her eyes grow wide, we're now both intoxicated with the thought. Cheese Steaks! She gets the money, we go outside, I use my dirty hands for the meat and she manages the transaction. I feel the bags, find the one with the fewest bones. She pays. It's OURS!
We may regret this later, but we'll clean it and cook it today, and then go from there. I'm thinking cheese steaks (on wheat bread) today, fajitas tomorrow. (Thanks for the taco seasoning, mom!)
My mind is on a high as I go into my room to tell the world that I will eat beef soon! Then, Audrey comes in, this time she is the bearer of wonderful news. The chief mgr gave us this wireless internet stick. We might be able to get internet without sitting right in his office.
And that is exactly how I am sending this to you. Sitting in the front room of my house, as close to his upstairs office in the next building over that I can be. And getting fast internet while beef sits in my fridge.
A good day, indeed. Thank you, Lord, for giving good gifts to your children. Even when we are too doubtful to ask.
Trust in the LORD, and do good;Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.Delight yourself also in the LORD,And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
This afternoon, we start our 2x a week Hindi tutoring! Pray we learn quickly!
No comments:
Post a Comment