Saturday, December 24, 2011

Observing miracles

According to the Home's tradition of gift-giving taking place on Christmas Eve, today the gifts were distributed! It was so fun! All the children gathered in the big hall and the manager led a few songs, prayer, and then talked a little bit in Hindi about the difference between a prize and a gift. I was struck by how fatherly his talk was. It was the kind of “training” conversation that was very appropriate for a father to have with his children to help them have the right attitudes in receiving gifts. Only here, there are 300 children to whom he talked to through a microphone, rather than sitting one or two on his knee.

The gifts the children received were a Walmart-sized shopping bag with their name written in marker on the outside. Each held a new toothbrush, toothpaste, small bag of chips, bar of soap, a pair of socks, long underwear pants, a shirt, and about 5 small candies. Several of the girls joyfully wanted to gift me with a few of their candies or part of their bag of chips. Many of the new shirts the girls received were obviously too small for them. Apparently most of the clothes the Home receives are for small children, not for those above age 10 or so. Teenagers need clothes too though. When I asked the girls what they’d do with their new shirts that wouldn’t fit, they said with a pleasant matter-of-fact smile, “we’ll give them to one of the little sisters.” Maybe there was just some mistake and the girls can get exchanges for larger sizes, I really don’t know. The girls didn’t seem to upset about it though.

Do you know what’s miraculous? These kids are. They’re amazing. They don’t cry. (I rarely ever hear or see tears.) They don’t get hurt. (The dispensary is almost always empty.) They don’t get sick. (No allergies.) All of them have 20/20 vision. (Verified by the doctor who checked last year.) They don’t squabble. (No one protested when I let only one girl handle my camera even though I know they all LOVE photo-taking) They’re not selfish. (I can guarantee, if they had two peanuts on their plate, they’d smilingly beg you to take one.) Of course these children are not perfect, they’re sinners just like all of us,… but God’s grace is upon this place in a powerful way. It’s…miraculous.

Last night was carol-singing. Compared to the durability of these children, I felt quite fragile treading through the starlit darkness over rocky paths, narrow stairs, tight alleys, and uneven fields with dozens of singing children. No light was necessary for them. Their small feet easily avoided all the hidden rocks, holes, and crevices, all the while their voices carrying Hindi Christmas melodies, while I fumbled for my cell phone light so I could see where my feet landed. One 7th grader, Ruby, took loving ownership of my hand and carefully made sure I saw any potentially dangerous rocks, holes or uneven stairs. I like to think of myself as fairly capable in the outdoors, but next to these simple, smiling, sandal-footed, children, I felt like a slow clutz.

Outside one home, a few within my group of carolers turned said to me, “Didi, we will go to your house next! Go home!” Go? I asked. “Yes, yes!” Their eyes glistened excitedly. How anticlimactic it would be for them to arrive at my home to carol and me not be there! I shuffled away from the group to go turn on the lights in my home and pretend I have been cozily resting there all evening. A few moments later: “O Come All Ye Faithful…!” The sound was more loud than melodious and came bursting through my front door. I knew they were singing in English for me. “Happy Christmas, Didi!” Over 50 children plastered me against my front door, all wanting to shake my hand and give me the merry holiday wishes. It made me remember the first time I met the children... Only this time, I was not nearly as overwhelmed as I had been on that day. Finally, the older boy leader hushed the children all and got them to stop singing long enough to pray for us and move on to the next home. Despite not knowing most of the songs, and feeling clumsy and fragile in the starlit night, I would not have missed the caroling experience for the world.

This place is a place of miracles-- small miracles with dark skin, sandaled feet, and glistening bright white eyes and smiles.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Audrey,

    Belated Merry Christmas! Thank you for your many stories about your experiences at the home, they are a testament of God's glory and an encouragement. May God continue to bless you and Kathy in your individual lives and your ministry work there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to give you some words of encouragement as you may be feeling far away from your family and friends and because you may have a desire to fellowship with them. I hope and pray that these words will encourage you.

    I Timothy 1:3-4
    Timothy, I thank God for you—the God I serve with a clear conscience, just as my ancestors did. Night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. I long to see you again, for I remember your tears as we parted. And I will be filled with joy when we are together again.

    Always remember that you have many family and friends in prayer for you and Kathy and your ministry at the home. Also, just as you long to see your family and friends they long to see you. You are not in this fight on your own.

    Here is some more encouragement to continue fighting the good fight, the fight of the faithful.

    God has put this work upon your heart and given you this task and because He has done this He will strengthen you along the journey of your work. He is your constant encourager and is always their at your side to hear you. He will see this work through to the end. He will never leave your nor forsake you.

    Matthew 28:18-20
    And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

    Matthew 19:14
    But Jesus said, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

    These are verses that have meant a lot to you and that were a foundation of and explain your ministry. May these words now re-encourage. Do everything for the glory of God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for those verses and the reminder! It is very timely. It is especially encouraging to be reminded that I am not in this work alone, or with just my team, but that so many of my family and friends who I miss dearly are in this work too! Thank you!

    I value your prayers and love dearly, but I deeply miss being able to TALK freely with you to gain encouragement, perspective, and tangible companionship in this work. Anjali is returned now from her visit to the US and I hope to see her this weekend. I'm greatly looking forward to talking heart-to-heart with another deep Christ*an and long-term friend.

    The Lord is kind and compassionate and knows and meets our every need. Thank you for your love, prayers, reminders, and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete