Today after lunch I went down to the school field to sit against a tree and read in the sunshine. Afterward, I walked a bit around the field before returning to my apartment. On the little walk, I contemplated how thoroughly happy I am right now in life, and how feeling this way was so unimaginable to me just one year ago. Several weeks after arriving to the Children's Home for the first time last year, I distinctly remember how much I missed my community of friends in Indiana, being able to communicate more easily with my family, and my happy life in that comfortable place. I knew that over time I would likely build friendships here too and get used to the way of life so I wouldn't feel so heavily overwhelmed, but I did wonder if I would ever feel exquisitely happy here like I had in Lafayette. Even after I made friends here, this place would still be dirty, poor, and seemingly chaotic and dysfunctional. It's purely the Lord's grace and mercy that He's changed my heart toward living here so dramatically in such a short time. Yes, the place hasn't really changed all that much. I still feel like I spend half my time cleaning, a quarter of my time listlessly having chai with neighbors, and overall am far away from family and cultural familiarity. But God has called me here. I know that beyond a shadow of a doubt, and knowing that gives me such peace, ..and a fierce determination to discover the reason why. In that ongoing search, I'm learning a lot, and have developed a certain tender thankfulness to be called to serve in a similar culture to the one in which Jesus lived. This country hasn't advanced nearly as much in the past 2012 years as America has. So as I learn to live and love in this place I find myself wondering what Jesus had to culturally adjust to and exercise patience with, coming from Paradise and all (to which the comforts of America can hardly compare). ;-)
Anyhow...those are just some musings for the evening. Perhaps something I'd share with you if we were listlessly drinking chai together here or there.
May each of you be surprised by Joy in the journeys He leads you on this week!
Anyhow...those are just some musings for the evening. Perhaps something I'd share with you if we were listlessly drinking chai together here or there.
May each of you be surprised by Joy in the journeys He leads you on this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment