This afternoon and evening spent several hours “frolicking” around with the
children-- supervising Wednesday afternoon music classes, along with the recreational usage of balls,
books, games, puzzles, playdough, coloring, and the writing of some sponsor letters. Because the school year in this country begins and ends in the spring, most of the children
have recently finished their final exams and have a few weeks break of play,
rest and boredom. Being typical children, sometimes they naturally assume that the only
reason I’m here must be to play with and entertain them. Today, in the midst of scurrying around to get the music classes going, I gave a little
lecture to a few 11-year-old girls who wouldn’t take “not right now” for an
answer when I was too busy to get out the games they were asking for. These
children have very little adult interaction, and one of my simple aims is to
teach them how to be considerate of others and ask for things politely. Later
in the evening, I was gratified when another 14-year-old girl asked me politely (instead of in the traditional local language demand) for some sugar (probably to make
chai with her friends). I smiled and told her that because she asked nicely,
I’d be happy to give her some. Teaching little lessons like this sometimes
makes me feel like I’m a mother to 300!
No comments:
Post a Comment