Yesterday, after several hours of running errands and traveling by foot and various means of public transportation, Kathy and I finally found the correct bus to take from the city back to the Children's Home. Unfortunately, it was a very slow moving bus, and VERY crowded. When we were still just on the edge of the city, the bus stopped yet AGAIN where the driver began talking to a few police officers. Seeing them, the guy sitting next to me shook his head and clucked his tongue disparagingly. Although I was pretty sure this country has no laws limiting the number of passengers who can ride in a vehicle, but still, we were SO crowded that I feared that the policemen were telling the driver we had to unload. I asked the guy next to me what was happened and to my surprise, he said something about MORE people were going to sit on top of the bus! My goodness. That's why this country is called "incredible!"
To be honest, having been wedged between a mass of humanity for 2.5 hours, my attitude was less than thankful by the time we finally stepped off the bus. But Kathy, who had considered the whole experience to be more of an adventure, was able to pull me around to laughter. After buying some fruit in the village, we arrived back to the Children's Home campus where the children received us with an excited welcome. After depositing our backpacks and recent purchases in the house, and drinking a glass of cool water, I spent the next few hour supervising playdough time, key board practice, typing lessons, and even danced and played patty-cake games with the children. All in all, it ended up being a good day. Even when I'm tempted to feel tired and grumpy, as a fellow-worker told me once, "How can one be unhappy at a Children's Home?"
To be honest, having been wedged between a mass of humanity for 2.5 hours, my attitude was less than thankful by the time we finally stepped off the bus. But Kathy, who had considered the whole experience to be more of an adventure, was able to pull me around to laughter. After buying some fruit in the village, we arrived back to the Children's Home campus where the children received us with an excited welcome. After depositing our backpacks and recent purchases in the house, and drinking a glass of cool water, I spent the next few hour supervising playdough time, key board practice, typing lessons, and even danced and played patty-cake games with the children. All in all, it ended up being a good day. Even when I'm tempted to feel tired and grumpy, as a fellow-worker told me once, "How can one be unhappy at a Children's Home?"
No comments:
Post a Comment