Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Answered Prayer!

Friends, when I wrote the previous post on July 16th, I felt very aware of my lack of professional background in anything related to psychology, mental health, trauma care, or social work. Yet the need to equip caregivers of vulnerable children with expertise in that area is glaring. As Hezekiah spread his letter before the LORD, I spread my prayer request before God, asking Him for caregiving and counseling expertise to meet the need in Manila, having no idea where the solution would come from. I also began voraciously reading material and watching videos on trauma therapy and vulnerable children in order to familiarize myself with the issues and perhaps gain the tools if I had to lead the training myself. Thankfully, I don't think I'll have to do that, because less than 10 days after I posted the prayer request on my blog, God provided a specialist!

A psychologist has agreed to come with us to Manila in October who has extensive qualifications and experience in counseling, caregiver training, institutional children, and missions. The more I learn about this man, the more I realize I could not have asked for anyone better suited to the need. He is heavily involved with the Palmer Home for Children and has even written 30 hours of curriculum for caregivers to lead their Whole Child initiative. As I learn more about him, I realize that someone of his caliber is certainly in high demand. I am humbled that he has agreed to come on this trip -- and so quickly! It is certainly the Lord's doing!

Lately, regarding this caregiver training project, I've found myself telling God, "God, You know I'm out of my league with all of this. I don't have the qualifications in mental health or organizational leadership or any other professional discipline that's relevant and similar. But You still have me building this program. Let my weakness boast of Your strength." And often I pray Psalm 127:1 . "Lord this is Your house, Your project, Your world, Your children. Be building Your house. Because if You are not building Your house, then the builder labors in vain, and I don't want to labor in vain."

Answered prayers, like this wonderfully qualified psychologist joining the team, is encouraging reminder that God IS in this. He is building His House, perfecting His Bride, through vulnerable children and weak vessels like you and me.

Whoever read the previous blog post and prayed, thank you! God is hearing your words, receiving them in heaven, and translating them into raining down blessing on me and needy children in Manila. Be encouraged! The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much! (James 5:16)  

No comments:

Post a Comment