On Thursday, Kathy and I had the opportunity to make our first trip from the village into the city using public transportation. Loaded with luggage for four days (including an overnight hike we’re anticipating enjoying on Sunday) and escorted by our capable national friend, we safely made our connections from bumpy van, to bumpier bus, to dusty vikram, to a second dusty vikram, and finally walked the last stretch to the home of our host for Thanksgiving dinner! Both Kathy and I enjoyed the experience, and were particularly elated that we made the 1.5 hour trip all the while carrying a freshly baked apple pie! In the first vikram (which is an oversized community rickshaw) sandwiched between bodies and luggage, Kathy and I glanced across at each other with cheesy grins on our faces and mouthed simultaneously, “Happy Thanksgiving!”
Thanksgiving dinner itself was so fun! About 40 people of all ages gathered into the home of the pastor and his wife and enjoyed American style cooked chicken with mushrooms, cooked apples, two kinds of green bean dishes, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, bread with dip, corn, and cucumber tomato salad. For dessert we had pumpkin pie, apple pie, carrot cake, homemade whipped cream, and ginger cookies. After playing a game to learn names we went outside to roast marshmallows and talk around the fire about things for which we are thankful. The two things I mentioned that I am particularly thankful for this year:
1) To have such a wonderful team of people here. The Lord has been truly gracious to allow my heart to bond with them so quickly.
2) The children at the Home. I’ve never considered myself to be especially a “kid person”, but these children are precious! The Lord is teaching me and blessing me so much through getting to know them.
No comments:
Post a Comment