The Boys' Hostel is located about 3/4ths of a mile away from the rest of the Children's Home campus down the village road. Boys grades 4 - 12 live there and walk to and from the main campus every day for school. Because the boys eat all their meals and do all their activities besides school at their hostel, I don't see them as often as I do the small children and the girls. But they're great boys, very well-behaved and genuine, and I thoroughly enjoy every opportunity I have to interact with them.
This evening, I went to the Boys' Hostel to say good-bye to the boys for the next 3 months, and to deliver a package to one of them from his sponsor. Evening devotions had just begun when I arrived, so I entered their multi-purpose hall silently and found a place next to a 6th-grader named Suraj who I've gotten to know recently through his participation in the newly begun music classes.
I always appreciate the children's loud style of singing, and this evening I was not disappointed. My attempt at singing the echo in Sing Hallelujah to the Lord could scarcely be heard through their 81 voice chorus and the skillful drum beat.
When the singing, teaching time, and prayers ended, I gave a short good-bye salutation, and delivered the package to Philip, an 11th grader who just received a sponsor this summer. Philip is quiet, but through the process of assigning him to a sponsor, I discovered that he seems like quite a remarkable and quality young man. He has good grades, promising leadership potential, is caring toward his younger sister who is also at the Home, and he wants to start a Children's Home of his own someday. Below are pictures of him opening his package.
After delivering the sponsor package to Philip, I talked a little bit with the oldest boys who wanted to express their heartfelt farewell sentiments. Several times they said to "wish my family, and church family, and sponsors, and churches hello from their side."



No comments:
Post a Comment