I feel like I should have something witty, or interestingly entertaining to share about reveres culture shock. There's definitely plenty to tell... like my newly-realized appreciation for can openers, frozen peas, and toasters. And down-filled bed covers, central heating, and Bible studies. And customer review surveys! (We always think they're somewhat tedious and annoying, have you ever considered what a marketplace would be like without them??) And a country that values human life enough to do an emergency c-section to bring a 24-week old infant into the world and do everything possible to keep her alive. Her?? In the country I've spent the last 6 months in, a well-meaning neighbor will kindly refer to your second daughter as a "him" to help you save face.
Yes, there's much I could write about that probably would be fascinating to the average Westerner. But any seasoned cross-cultural worker, or even a book on the subject, will tell you that re-entry is hard. Not only because cultural differences like the above -both good and bad- slam me in the face every day, but because a confusing void permeates one's sense of identity when they go from one culture and community of people to a vastly different set of them. Where do I fit? The life-style, sense of humor, perspective, manner of communication, priorities, interests, and "to-do"s are all so vastly different. To be honest and real, I'm struggling to process and adjust to it all. The Lord is the only constant I have between here and there, and mercifully, He has allowed me to feel His nearness. I know that adjustment is a season that doesn't last forever, but for those of you who have been visiting my blog and are wondering how things are going, I thought I'd let you know how you can pray for me. I know many of you take that role and m*stry seriously for which I am deeply thankful. God bless you.
Yes, there's much I could write about that probably would be fascinating to the average Westerner. But any seasoned cross-cultural worker, or even a book on the subject, will tell you that re-entry is hard. Not only because cultural differences like the above -both good and bad- slam me in the face every day, but because a confusing void permeates one's sense of identity when they go from one culture and community of people to a vastly different set of them. Where do I fit? The life-style, sense of humor, perspective, manner of communication, priorities, interests, and "to-do"s are all so vastly different. To be honest and real, I'm struggling to process and adjust to it all. The Lord is the only constant I have between here and there, and mercifully, He has allowed me to feel His nearness. I know that adjustment is a season that doesn't last forever, but for those of you who have been visiting my blog and are wondering how things are going, I thought I'd let you know how you can pray for me. I know many of you take that role and m*stry seriously for which I am deeply thankful. God bless you.
No comments:
Post a Comment