It’s a beautiful time to be back in the US. As I enjoy the flaming autumn colors, I’m reminded of where was this time last year.
Last year in May I began praying that I would have 100% support by October so I could join Kathy on the field and we could begin our 1st term together. By late September I was at 82%. One day around that time, I remember sitting in the overstuffed rocker in my roommate’s and my apartment, talking with God. I’d just quit my job so I could make the necessary preparations to leave. But I really had no idea where the last 18% of my necessary support would come from. I had talked to everyone I knew to talk to. As I sat in that rocker, wondering what would happen, feeling completely helpless to do anything beyond what I’d done, God gave me a verse:
“Look and watch--
Be utterly astounded!
For I will work a work in your days
Which you would not believe even if you were told.”
Habakkuk 1:5
What did that mean? I didn’t pretend to have divine assurance that God would do what I was praying for, but I sensed He would do something. Something amazing. And He did. That verse was the theme of my life for the next several weeks.The sky seemed cloudless, I felt God telling me to prepare for rain. So as I prepared my visa, immunizations, insurance, legal paperwork, and packed my material possession to be ready to leave, God brought in the downpour of His blessing. Checking my email was the most exciting thing during those days. Every day there was at least one new note from someone who wanted to give and support me going to the Children’s Home. I wasn’t doing anything to solicit by that point, but the emails kept coming, some from people I barely knew! Like God told Habakkuk, I was astounded. I felt like I was drinking from a fire hose of God’s blessing.
100% came in and I received approval from the home office that I could purchase a flight. I booked it for 5 days later, on October 31st. God had answered my prayer and done what I’d thought was impossible.
As I reflect on it now one year later, I feel like asking, “Did God really do that??” It was so awesome. But yes, He did. And remembering it gives me confidence and faith that He’ll continue doing awesome and impossible things in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment