Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Prayers in Pennsylvania!

Something I love about my job is traveling around, getting reacquainted with old friends, making new ones, and sharing with individuals and churches on what God is doing in the Saffron Land through the Children's Home. It's an awesome privilege to bear the good news of how God is transforming that country through children!

Last Saturday, I drove through gorgeously warm fall weather to Pittsburgh, PA. I spoke in two churches on Sunday and was warmly welcomed and encouraged by their interest in the Children's Home work and enthusiasm to be a part of it.

But even if everything supposedly went wrong on this trip and no sponsors or financial fruit are borne from it, the single thing that in my mind makes my trip here completely worth it is something that happened yesterday.

After a hectic weekend, yesterday morning I was sitting with my laptop  enjoying a cup of tea at the breakfast table when my great aunt (who is a dear godly pastor's wife of 50? years) stepped in and invited me to the morning prayer meeting that she was on her way to attend. Twelve to fifteen women meet monthly to pray for people in my profession. Would I like to go? YES YES!! Closing my laptop, I grabbed my purse and a few Children's Home brochures and scurried out the door.

Most of the ladies around the table in the church parsonage-converted-to-office-space were upwards of 70. One of them regularly collected and consolidated prayer requests from workers all over the world and shared typed handouts with the rest of the group. There wasn't a lot of discussion. The women just prayed. Their prayers were short, thoughtful, emphatic, and specific. I could tell that each of them had a committed walk with the Lord. And it was clear that they were in that room because they wanted to be a part of His kingdom growth around the world. They know that God doesn't depend on them for His work to get done. But they grasped the opportunity and privilege to be deeply and integrally involved through prayer.

One of my heart's longings is to be prayed for by groups like this. These women had no information from the Saffron Land that they regularly prayed through, so they were delighted to hear about the Children's Home and sign up to receive my updates to begin praying for me. What a divine arrangement it was that their meeting was this week and my aunt happened to invite me to go! I'm so thankful for these gray-haired saints who are laboring faithfully in intercessory prayer. Prayer is hard work, but I am very excited to see how their labor will bless not only the Saffron Land, but will bless them as well.

As the pastor preached on Sunday from Acts 12:5, prayer that is made corporately, earnestly, specifically, and expectantly accomplishes miracles. Like setting prisoners free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment