Friday, November 30, 2012

Update

MUCH has happened since I last wrote.

Pennsylvania was wonderful! I could've spent so much more time than 6 days. PA is a fourth place I sometimes feel like calling home (along with South Asia, Indiana, and Georgia) since I spent 4 great college years there. In PA, it was especially enjoyable spending time with my former roommate of 3 years and my relatives with whom we both lived.

After Pennsylvania, I drove to Suffolk, VA en route through Baltimore. I'd never been to either city, but in Baltimore I loved the excuse to stop and visit my cousin and his wife who are also great friends of mine from college. The next day, passing through DC and over a beautiful bridge at sunset, I entered Suffolk.

Westminster PCA in Suffolk has a huge heart for the Children's Home. Each year for the past 3 years they've sent teams to the Home to do maintenance and love on the children. Combined, families in the congregation sponsor about 40 children there. After their 2010 visit, they made video about the Children's Home. On Sunday morning, as I drove up to the church building, I couldn't help but feel a surreal sense of actually MEETING this congregation who I'd heard so much about. Only a handful of days after I arrived to the Home last year, the children began asking me if I knew "Buddy Uncle" and others who'd come with him on previous teams. I told them no, but by the time "Buddy Uncle" visited again in May, I almost felt like I knew him and the team personally, I'd heard so much about them. Being with their church in person in VA was very special. I was able to hand-deliver letters to several of the members from their sponsored children, and update them on deeper prayer needs of the Home. When I left on Monday, I felt like I'd gained a new family.

Leaving VA, I drove to Ga where I spent the next 5 days with my parents and siblings and grandmother. The week of giving thanks was filled with playing scrabble games, singing goofy songs, eating and making delicious food, fireside conversations, and watching old movies. It was difficult to leave on Saturday while the family time was still in full-swing, but I had committed myself to present at a church in Indiana the next day. Thankfully, the 10 hour drive went well and there was much positive feedback to my presentation on Sunday.

So now I'm back in Indiana, settling back after 3 weeks of travel, and "unsettling" as I prepare to leave the country again less than a week!

You can praise God for:

  • My application for a different visa was approved!! 
  • Safety during much road travel and fruitful contacts on the trip
  • 10-12 new child sponsors
  • Two friends who will be returning to the Children's Home with me for 2 weeks (I had been praying for someone among my friends or family members to visit me on the field.)
  • A great response to the Christmas Gift Project. Almost everything on the "Wish List" for the kids was fulfilled and without a lot of excess!


Please pray for:

  • Safety and smooth travel logistics next week. (We'll depart Wednesday evening and arrive Friday morning)
  • That the three of us, especially my two friends, will stay healthy during their visit
  • Healthy (spiritual, physical, and emotional) adjustment back to the field
  • That all the Christmas gifts shipped for the children by families and churches would safely arrive to the Home


Thanks for your partnership in this work! It means so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment