Monday, April 13, 2015

Are all children in children's homes orphans?

No. They are there due to a variety of reasons. One is extreme poverty.

Read this article: Marooned in a Tea Garden about one economic circumstance in India that caused children in extremely poor families to be separated from their parents.

I have a good friend, I'll call her Sara, who grew up in a children's home even though she had two parents who loved her. They were desperately poor. But in the children's home (not the one I worked in), Sara received food, shelter, and the gospel of Christ. Upon graduating, her parents pressured her to marry a Hindu. She refused, leaving home to take a job to support herself and earn a Master's degree by correspondence. Now she works as a caretaker at another children's home. She is one of the most voracious learners and determinedly cheerful people I have ever met. Last year, she joyfully married a Christian. What a marvelous way for God to redeem the tragic poverty of her family!

No comments:

Post a Comment