Dear friends,
Five days ago I arrived into Manila with a song in my heart and a prayer on my lips. A song, because I was back overseas -- in Asia! I
love being back on the field again. I've missed it. Astoundingly, God has answered "yes" to all of my prayers regarding this trip! We had a wonderfully fruitful 3-day retreat for the 14 staff of the ABP children's homes. It was filled with meaningful discipleship opportunities, laughter, deepening friendship, and lots of sunshine --despite the "super typhoon" that struck the country only days before! Below are some pictures to capture some of our experiences.
 |
| The 3-day retreat included 5 hours of messages on Living in Grace, led by pastor Dee Hammond. |
 |
| The messages were wonderfully received. In the closing debrief time, many of the staff tearfully expressed how challenged and encouraged they were by them. |
 |
| I facilitated a small group discussion after each message. How wonderful it was to get to know these dear ladies and grow in grace together! |
 |
Our group of 19 played volleyball played several matches of volleyball together.
|
 |
| ...and bowling, and ping pong! Not capture on camera was swimming, paintball, and charades. Filipinos love to have fun together! |
 |
| The retreat center was covered in beautiful swaying palm trees. Despite the super typhoon, the sky has been clear this whole week! |
 |
| A final group picture to document the relationships formed and experience shared. Reflecting on the days of spiritual edification, rest, and friendships strengthened, many of the staff expressed, "we didn't know how much we needed this, but we REALLY needed it." |
 |
| Today, I and my team drove to visit one of the children's homes. Above: a typical street in Manila. |
 |
| Grace Home, where 23 street boys receive love, nurture, and the gospel from the staff we invested in at the retreat. |
 |
| Dr. David Foster and myself learning the names of some of the boys. We didn't stay long, but will spend more time with them in the coming days. |
 |
| A Filipino cultural dance that we passed on the drive home. |
 |
| Having been occupied by Spaniards for 400 years, there is much Spanish influence in the Philippines, which shows in the strong Catholic presence in the country. |
For tonight, that's all folks! But I'll write more later. Please pray for the coming days to be as smooth and fruitful as the past 5 days have been! Tomorrow we're planning to attend church and see more aspects of the ministry. And on Monday and Tuesday, Dr. Foster will lead more teaching and counseling designed to equip the staff to holistically nurture children from hard places.
I am so excited to hear this report! So happy for you that you have this chance to be overseas again! It sounds like this retreat was a blessing to all involved!!!
ReplyDelete