"We need teams to come, to lead VBS, to teach English, to encourage these kids," my host told me yesterday. Along that vein, I prayed that this visit would give me opportunity to simply love on the children, to let them know that they are special, and communicate to them about their sponsors who are praying for them.
In the morning, I taught a simple lesson to the children from the Word. In the afternoon, we went to a cultural park where we climbed a monument, played on the elephant statues, and many of the children experienced ice cream for the first time! Unlike children in other homes I've visited, these children hardly speak a word of English. It made communication more challenging, but we managed to bridge the language barrier and play games together. By the middle of the afternoon, two young girls permanently kept their hands in mine. See pictures below.
English competency is important for their vocational future, so today, I hope to play some ESL games with them using language learning techniques that I myself used in the Saffron Land to learn simple words and gestures.




No comments:
Post a Comment